Another week another dev blog. Even though it's only week two, I think it's a valiant effort.
This week was mostly bug fixing, the most fun part of game development. The bugs that got fixed weren't even sexy dramatic bugs or anything, they were proper dull things. Like the "Skip Dialogue" button not actually skipping dialogue.
Besides that we managed to add in more art work and animations, namely adding in the complete locked door/unlocked door animation. I had to re-structure some of the rooms to fit the new doors as their dimensions didn't exactly match the place holder block sprites I had used up until now. I also had to mess about with making the locked doors depth dynamically change depending on the players position.
In GM: Studio, an objects depth dictates if it appears in front or behind another object. The locked door is one of the few instances where it needs to be both in front and behind the player at different times. The code is relatively basic, but it didn't work for what felt like an eternity (it had been about 15 minutes). It turns out the issues was actually due to the sprite's origin point being completely out of whack, so it always thought the player was in front of it. So with some quick tweaking that was sorted.
I realised I didn't mention in last weeks dev blog that I'd added in the second room of the Boss challenge. The Boss encounter is made up of five rooms; three actual encounters with the Boss and two challenge rooms in between encounters. The first encounter and the first challenge room are now both complete.
My aim is to get at least another encounter and another challenge done within the next week.
And finally, I got a laptop now that can allow me to work whilst out of the house, and it has already proven itself invaluable. There is something strangely calming about bug fixing on a train.
Haven't done one of these in a while.
It is now the space year of 2016 and whilst I have not yet finished making DIMB (a small mobile puzzle game), I am still working on it. Progress has been slow due to me having other responsibilities that actually pay me, but that's not really enough of an excuse to justify the glacial pace of development.
So what has been done? 90% of the levels are functionally complete, with just art and animations to be added in. This is for the base game, and doesn't include any work for additional game modes. For example if I feel cute and fancy adding in timed challenges, that's not happening any time soon.
The first part of the end boss has been implemented. A good chunk of January had me racking my brains on how to have an end boss in a game with as limited a scope as DIMB. But, rack my brains I did, and I now have something which I'm 99% sure will suffice as a boss challenge.
Chris has prettied up the game with new art for dialogue boxes and a new style for the Skip button. Now people will no longer have to view my hideous two tone art when playing DIMB. New NPC art and animation has also been added which helps give additional character to the game.
The next key milestones are to get the boss challenges finished and to re-write and re-code the intro, as the current one is bollock-ugly.
I'm going to attempt to make weekly updates on this site from now on (I pay for the bloody thing so I might as well scream and shout about it), but if I don't, find it in your hearts to forgive me.